CorelDraw Tips: Creating A 3D Effect Using Drop Shadow
A three-dimensional, or 3D, object brings more realistic depth and perspective to an image. There are a number of ways to achieve the 3D look in CorelDraw but today we will learn how to create this effect through Drop Shadow. The Drop Shadow effect can be made by making an offset shadow behind an object to show that it is floating above the background.
TO ADD A DROP SHADOW
- In the toolbox found on the left side of the screen, click the Drop Shadow tool
- Select the object.
- Drag the cursor from the center or side of the object until the drop shadow is the desired size.
- Specify the attributes on the Property bar.
- Drop Shadow Offset – To set the distance between the drop shadow and the object.
- Drop Shadow Angle – To set the direction of the drop shadow.
- Drop Shadow Opacity – To adjust the transparency of the drop shadow.
- Shadow Feathering – To sharpen or soften the edges of the drop shadow.
- Feathering Direction – To soften the shadows edges toward the inside of the shadow, toward the outside of the shadow, or both of the direction.
- Feather Edge – To choose the feathering type.
- Shadow Fade – To adjust the amount of fading at the edges of the drop shadow.
- Shadow Stretch – To adjust the length of the drop shadow.
- Transparency Operation – To choose how the color of the drop shadow blends with the color of the underlying object.
- Shadow Color – To choose the color of the drop shadow.
A Drop Shadow can create great depth and dramatically change the appearance of an object when used correctly. For best results, use a drop shadow on a white or light colored background.
If you want to revert the image back to its original state you can remove in a few easy steps.
TO REMOVE A DROP SHADOW
- Select an object’s drop shadow
- Click Effects -> Clear Drop Shadow